Keep Up To Date
Subscribe to our newsletter,
BPandE Case Study Moving from an Executive to a Non Executive role
A former CEO was taking up an appointment as a Non-Executive Director. He has started in his new role but was aware that
• He was finding it difficult to detach from the business of implementation to a strategic perspective
• He did not feel he had enough depth of knowledge of strategy development or risk management to oversee these issues to his satisfaction
After an initial meeting to understand his concerns we proposed that we provide an executive coach who could work with this individual to:
• Set out some clear goals that he wished to meet
• Plan initiatives that would enable the theory of these topics to be put into practice
It also transpired that there had been no real induction into the role and therefore background to the operation of the business and understanding of past performance and current concerns was unknown.
Before staring the formal coaching we decided that the design and undertaking of an induction programme was imperative and worked with the Executive team to construct an induction programme that would be suitable for any new Director. The programme included:
• Provision of 2 years board minutes
• The last 2 Board packs
• Terms of reference for the Board and Committees
• Meetings with each Executive and Non-Executive Directors, the head of Audit and Head of Compliance
• Formal briefings providing refreshers on the responsibilities of Directors and the latest regulatory priorities for the business
Coaching meetings were arranged on monthly basis and tackled the role of the Non-Executive in terms of providing independent challenge in a constructive way and working with the Chairman and other Non-Executives to ensure that strategy and risk were properly overseen without overstepping the boundaries into Executive responsibilities.
This Non-Executive is now comfortable with his role and the company has implemented the induction process for all Directors. The two other Non-Executives have adopted the same techniques in terms of challenge and the Chairman is of the view that whole Board has benefitted form this process and recommended us to a Non-executive of another board he is involved with.
If you would like to discuss any of the issues raised in this case study please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call +44 (0) 20 7764 0721